Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wayne Brissette
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts on the Sony LAEA4 matched with the A7
3 months ago

I finally received my LAEA4 adapter yesterday after being out of stock. It worked well, but as people mention, since it's taking some of the light and using it for the focusing, you do loose a stop or so (I thought it was closer to two stops, but the A7 makes up for it by allowing me to increase the ISO without too much of a penalty).

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that all of my lenses I had for my A700 worked without any problems with the full sensor, with one notable exception. My older Sigma 105 macro lens just wouldn't work. I could manually focus it, but had no way to adjust the F stops and the sensor couldn't figure out what was possible. Since there's no setting on the lens for that, it was a bust. However, all other alpha lenses I had were capable of full sensor including my fast (but heavy) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 that I bought recently for my daughter's basketball games. Turns out unbeknownst to me, it was a full frame lens. The 12-28mm lens I recently purchased was also full frame, but I knew that going in, which is why I bought it.

In a nutshell, the adapter is a wee bit expensive, but for me, I think it's worth it since I can continue using some of the lenses I bought for my A700 with the A7. I know there are situations that the A7 won't work, so the A700 is still going to be a camera I use a lot and I wanted the ability to use both. The LAEA4 seems to fit that bit quite nicely.

Wayne Brissette's gear list:Wayne Brissette's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow