Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dean Lapinel
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
D 810 hand held in low light. Worried!
2 months ago

I'm an old time photographer, evolved from film (35mm- large format) to using the D 300 for the past 5 or so years.

A night time lit room that would shoot at 1/30 1.8 With tri-x shot at 400 asa used to cost me ISO 2500 1/30 1.8 on my d 300 with noisy/grainy results.

I am very worried about the 810 sensor and the aspect that I still don't grasp yet...that the sensor appears to be more sensitive to motion blur ??

I find that using the 24-120 at f4 (shot in aperture mode) requires an ISo of 5,000 to get shots that have a roughly 90% chance of being without blur. These are shot at around 1/60. Unfortunately fine hair is flattened (soft, no detail) at this ISO. At 1/30th it is a coin toss whether the shot will be clean.

I have no tremors and my shooting technique is usually very good (excuse the lack of modesty) but I am not accustomed to the front heavy lens and the more bulky camera.

Is ISO 5000 in an incandescent but moderately well lit room standard for most of you? Is this camera similar to the 800 that many consider a daylight camera with need for a tripod and nonmoving subject for low light?

I am worried I made a mistake in purchasing this camera. The low light candid portraiture is what I sought most eagerly.

Thanks for your input-

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow