Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Swifty
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Help me decide on a macro for my Fuji X-E1
2 months ago

I've done my research and have it narrowed down to a few lenses in the 90-105mm range.  I'm no expert and just looking to play around and get my feet wet with macro.  I'm looking for 1:1 without having to use tubes so that sort of rules out the Series 1 Vivitar 90 2.5 which is also a bit heavier than what I'm looking to carry.  Also rules out the Tamron 90 2.5, though I am considering the older versions of the f/2.8 version which is 1:1.  Not too crazy about the build.  I like the idea of using an old sturdy 70's/80's metal lens that was around when I first got into photography.  Probably obvious I'm looking more at manual focus lenses as AF would be useless with an adapter and I'd shoot manual anyway so I'm avoiding the more expensive, recent Tamron 90 2.8.

Two main contenders.  I'm looking at a Kiron 105mm 2.8.  Advantages, beyond the reputation, being the built in hood though the lens is a bit heavy at 650 g.  I'm also looking at the Vivitar 90mm 2.8 (and it's iterations) which I read is more the consumer version compared to the renowned 2.5.  May not be as good as the 2.5 but I'm thinking it would suffice.  At 480 g it's lighter than the Kiron 105 and the 62mm filter size matches a lens I already have filters for.  Doubt I'd ever use the ND filters or CPL so I don't know if that's really a selling point and the Kiron comes with a UV.  The cheap rubber lens hood I have lying around might not be as good as one designed more for telephoto so ditto on that as well.  The Kiron is a bit more expensive than the Vivitar iterations I've seen, but not prohibitively so.

This will be my first use of legacy glass on the X-E1.  Any suggestions for adapters?  Not looking to break the bank and being that this will be the only lens with this mount the adapter will be permanently on the lens, but being that I live in S. America (not many decent camera stores) I'd like to get it right the first time.  Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow