Best four thirds lenses?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?
Re: Best four thirds lenses?
In reply to jesuisdanny, 5 months ago

jesuisdanny wrote:

I own an E-M1 recently became interested in checking out good Four Thirds lenses, but hard to find in search with all the "Micro" Four Thirds articles around.

Any good resources?

Pretty much any of the High Grade and Super High Grade lenses are worth using. These lenses are all dust and drip protected. I wouldn't look too closely at any of the standard grade lenses, except maybe the 35mm macro after you're already using a set of Four Thirds lenses.

The best value among the HG lenses is probably the 14-54 f/2.8-3.5, offering a true midrange between kit lens and pro lens that doesn't exist in the MFT system, and at a good price. The 12-60 might be getting a bit pricey compared to MFT offerings when looked at including the cost of the MMF-3, but it would be a good midrange too. The 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 truly offers something that nothing in the MFT system is capable of. My favorite lens is the 11-22 f/2.8-3.5, but that lens might be getting long in the tooth (possibly the best controlled distortion of any lens of its type, but it's not that great for corner sharpness or coma, and my copy shows some decentering). The lauded 50mm f/2.0 macro makes a very good hybrid portrait/macro lens. The 8mm f/3.5 fisheye is the only weather protected fisheye in the FT/MFT systems, and if you do fisheye photography you'd know whether or not you need that.

The SHG lenses can be extremely pricey, even used-- we're talking "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" levels of money. If you can bring that kind of money to bear though, it's said that the 14-35 f/2.0 is like a bag full of primes, the 35-100 f/2.0 is nearly as good, and the 150mm f/2.0 might be the finest lens in the system. Then there are the less common 90-250 f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 (and of course you'd also need the EC-14 and EC-20 teleconverters). However, I should hope that before you'd consider any of these lenses, you'd already know whether or not you need them.

Best reviewers to check out are SLRGear, Lenstip, Photozone.de.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow