Beginer questions about understanding focal length, aperture, etc.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nick in Knox
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Beginer questions about understanding focal length, aperture, etc.
2 months ago

I'm shopping for a point and shoot camera for the first time in several years and I'm having trouble making an educated decision on some camera features.  Specifically when it comes to light gathering.  I know a lower aperture and and focal length are better in low light situations, but will I really see a difference between 1.4 and 1.8 aperture?   What about 24mm and 28mm FL?  Which is more important?  I guess another way to ask that question is if I'm looking at two cameras, one has an f1.4 at 28mm,  and one has an f1.8 at 24mm lens (all other features equal) which would do better in low light? Or will there even be a noticeable difference in most images?

I'm sorry, I know that was a wordy and poorly written question, but I guess I just don't under stand it well enough.  I'm also curious as to how much impact the over all size of the image sensor plays into this question.  But I can wait to understand that next.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow