Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,471Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 mega-comparison
5 months ago

I wanted to pull out all my equipment and compare how the FZ1000 stands against so I can understand where my strengths and weaknesses are (besides my weak skill of course).

I have the FZ1000, RX100 III, Fuji XT1 w/ 18-55 + 55-200 and a Sony AX100. Obviously different equipment with different compromises, so I don't expect one to be perfect in every scenario.

All comparisons are jpgs out of camera or 4k captures. No further processing.  FZ1000 had idynamic on standard.

I started with each wide open and widest angle:

FZ1000 wide

RX100III wide

XT1 18-55 wide

Next I checked out the 4k capture capabilities of the FZ1000 vs. the AX100

FZ1000 widest angle 4k frame capture

AX100 widest angle 4k frame capture (standard IS)

Finally, trying to test reach, I tested the XT1 @200mm (200 equiv) vs. the FZ1000 at 400 equiv.  To get the most detail, I used raw here and processed in PS...didn't worry much about color diffs obviously.  I scaled the XT1 up to match the scale of the FZ1000 to give a better idea of detail at full reach.   The following is at 100% pixel peeping size of the FZ1000 (more for the XT1)

My conclusions...the FZ1000 does absolutely great at about everything.  Not necessarily the best, but you truly have to pixel peep to tell the difference.    For video, the stabilization is actually better than the AX100 and you can adjust the image parameters, which I need to do to get rid of the Panny yellow/green cast.  The AX100 is a bit more neutral and to the blue side a little.  Sony is a little more detailed with fine sharpening up there, where the panny has wider field sharpening to give a natural but "pop" look.

Low light AF is fantastic on the FZ1000...probably better than the XT1.

I did try an FZ200 a month ago and, while I liked it, the IQ wasn't up there for me.   The FZ1000 is, IMO, far better in about every way (subjectively).

More comments later

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow