ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KJC
KJC
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Flash drives as data backup
5 months ago

I would like to back up some of my most important files on some type of medium that will be stable for a few years (at least), and store it offsite (e.g., in a safe deposit box)

I have read that data on hard drives begin to deteriorate within a few months if the drive is not connected to a computer, and I do not want to spend endless hours burning DVDs as backups. This leaves solid state memory devices like SSDs, "thumb drives", and memory cards for digital cameras.

These days I rarely bother to reformat and reuse memory cards because they are so cheap, and I don't need the large capacity or high performance cards--I rarely shoot 6fps. I was bailed out recently after a recent crash by having images on a memory card. For someone like me who doesn't really shoot more than 5-10k frames a year, it seems very easy to save the images on the card and store them offsite, just as an additional backup.

So, to make a long story short--how long are data stable on solid state devices, and is there any difference between "thumb drives", SSD drives, and memory cards?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow