Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
A Lowlight Retest For The Detractors
5 months ago

For those that have absorbed all their time climbing down my throat over a previous low light test I did between the Panasonic FZ1000 and Sony A77MkII here is a redo. Indeed I was able to get better results for the Sony this time around being careful to do my level best. The Panasonic also did a bit better as well. As you'll see from the EXIF's they were sucking up as much light as possible. Argue as you may, the camera in Aperture priority mode do what they must to get the job done.

The parameters were the best I could muster as I did NOT use a tripod but hand held steady. Let me just get this over with. The light was so low the Sony flat out would NOT focus no matter what on it's own. I had to use peaking and manual just to get the shot. It's not perfect and I tried half a dozen times, it simply was NOT going to be perfectly focused. Once again in about a solid second the Panny locked on and was happy as a clam, considering we're talking light in which I can barely see the target. Yes the Panny exposed longer....get over it. The Panny was set to f4 which is wide open and the Sony to f5.6 again wide open. ISO was on auto and BOTH chose their limit of ISO6400. So this is about as fair as I can be. My conclusion may once again not be the same as yours, but quite frankly I find them closer then they should be. Here this time is the FULL images no crops. Hope this makes you happy. Do I see a 2 stop difference between them, not on a bet. I'm not so sure it's even 1 stop.

Sony first:

Now the FZ1000

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 Camera, B+W MRC Nano ND-Vario ND Filter, B+W MRC Circular Polarizer, Panasonic's DMW-FL360L, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Rawtherapee, Adobe Lightroom 5.5

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow