Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,521Gear list
Like?
Refreshing experience at Best Buy!
3 months ago

I like Best Buy. I bought a Canon 7D from them once, and of course a bunch of stuff. But I really didn't expect to find a knowledgeable sales person there.

Yesterday I went to the Best Buy in The Woodlands, Texas with a friend of mine who is a real estate agent. She wanted a really good camera for shooting her new listings and also for shooting her grand-kids now and in the future.

I had just shot a new listing for her and I told her that I think she should get a Sony A77ii (which I used for the shoot as well as my A99). She wanted to buy at Best Buy because she had several hundred dollars of credits there. I told her they wouldn't have the Sonys although they could order them.

Best buy had all the Canons and Nikons in stock and on display. No Sonys except the E mount stuff, as expected.

When I started to explain the benefits of an EVF in shooting home interiors with light coming through windows, etc. - in other words, the ability of the EVF to show the actual exposure - and to compensate for it - rather than the typical underexposure due to window back light - I expected to be contradicted by the sales person. I wasn't. He completely agreed with me and said that shooting in that situation with the Sony would be easier and better than Canon and Nikon!

He pointed out that he had the A58 and a77 in stock. [They weren't on the top display but were in the cabinet.] He said the a77ii was a new model and he hadn't received it yet but could get it in a few days. We talked about the Canon 70D (my friend had a couple of old EOS lenses), Sony A6000 (which was on display) and wide angel lens options. He knew about the Sigma 10-20s (both of them) as well as the Tamron, Tokina, Canon, and Sony options. [He wasn't aware, though, that there is a 10-18mm SEL lens.]

The bottom line is that my friend got really good advice from the Best Buy sales guy at The Woodlands. She ordered an A77ii with the 16-50/2.8 lens ($1699 as it is about everywhere). She's excited about it coming in a couple of days.

I have renewed respect for Best Buy, at least this Best Buy.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow