ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tenaki
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Looking for my first mirrorless camera - tossing up EOS:M and Sony a6000
4 months ago

Hi All,

I'm contemplating moving up from a canon powershot s100 to a mirror less. The size of DSLRs has been a large reason of why I haven't gotten a "better" camera, so these mirrorless cameras seem to be a good compromise between them.

I've been looking mostly at the Canon EOS:M, and the Sony a6000. I've managed to get my hands on a friend's EOS:M with the kit lens, and am enjoying it, but am finding the auto-focus in low light to be a bit hit & miss. Plus the lack of a built-in flash is annoying.

So I've also been looking at the Sony Alpha a6000, and at first was really really sure that this was it, and then I saw in a review that lamented the state of the kit lens. Went back to re-read the other reviews (including this dpreview one), and turns out that most of them did mention the less-than-stellar kit lens, with most recommending getting a new lens Soon™. And most also seem to recommend the Zeiss 16-70mm, which costs as much as the camera + kit lens. Basically, I'm willing to spend some money on a new camera, but that's too much too soon.

So I guess I've got a few questions:

- just how *bad* is the kit lens on the a6000? I'm intending to take the new camera with me on my first trip to the US, so I don't really want to have pictures with significant lens distortion or pictures more akin to a 16mp lens than the actual 23mp one (which was actually a comparison made by another review)

- is the EOS:M a better choice as an "out of the box" kit?

- how does the a6000 handle low light photography? Again, I've seen one review that said it wasn't fantastic at it.

- are there any recommendations for other mirrorless cameras that might be a better bet? (I'm looking for sub-$1000).

Thanks!

tenaki's gear list:tenaki's gear list
Sony a6000
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow