Tamron 150-600

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
Douglas69
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 150-600
In reply to David5711, 4 months ago

Hi...

I'd like to make a suggestion for your birds in flight problem with the new lens. Way back before Zoom lenses became popular Used to shoot moving scenes with an Olympus OM1 and 600 MM lens. The experience I gained from those days helps me now when I photograph flying birds.

Large birds fly on a predictable flight path... They can't change direction as fast as say a swallow. This is something you can use to your advantage. Switch on the focus limiter if you are going to shoot at 300 or longer. Switch off the stabilizer too. You'll probably need to use a monopod or tripod if you do this but it makes the lens focus much faster.

If you have predictive focus in your camera, use it. Practice tracking birds like this. You'll find focus is nearly instant and your keep rate will increase noticeably. I hope this helps you in some small way. The answer is not in buying more expensive gear, its in figuring out the best way to use what you have. Good luck. I'll look forward to seeing some of your eagle shots in the future!

-- hide signature --

My first job interview didn't go well. They wanted someone with more experience. Fifty years later I've got that but things must have changed... Now they want someone younger! No need to wonder why I've never had a 'job'.

Douglas69's gear list:Douglas69's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow