Switching from Nikon D300 to X-T1. Lens questions.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ConcertShooterMA
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Switching from Nikon D300 to X-T1. Lens questions.
5 months ago

After reading the reviews and handling the X-T1 at a local camera shop, I'm about to make the switch from the D300 for most of my needs. Travel photography, hiking, landscapes, and concerts are my predominant uses. Current lenses I use most are the 17-55 f2.8 DX, 70-200 f2.8 VR, Sigma 10-20, and when traveling or long hikes where weight is critical, the 18-200 f-3.5-5.6 Dx. I have some great primes, but use them less than the zooms.

With that as background, have any Nikon users with similar sensor sizes to the X-T1 made the comparisons between the DX 17-55 vs the 18-55 kit lens image quality? That would probably be my go-to travel lens. Likewise, how the 10-24 f4 compares with the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6? I anticipate the 55-200 3.5-4.8 is a major downgrade over the similar range of the 70-200 f2.8 VR and hence would need to wait on the roadmap for a better zoom. I'm also very curious about the new 18-135 lens, as that may be an even better travel lens.

Your comments appreciated, especially on the 17-55 f2.8 vs the kit lens. That beast of a lens with the D-300 weighs too much and makes it impossible to take stealth photos!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow