Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,277Gear list
Like?
How many FF lenses do you need?
3 months ago

How many lenses do you really need? I mean, the lenses you are using on a daily basis, and not the exlusive ones you are using with adapters now and then, or maybe twice a year.

Soon there will be FE lenses from ultra-wide to telephoto, and I am pretty sure that nobody will buy them all. And more will come, also real telephoto lenses when the autofocus system is more mature, I would guess.

For my own work I use a ultra wide prime (Voigtländer 21 mm f:4), a moderate wideangle lens (Zeiss 35 mm f:2.8) and the FE 70-200 mm f:4 telezoom lens. This is what I use. Actually I don't miss much when I am out working with the camera.

When back home, surfing on the web, it is so easy to add lenses and other accessories to my whish list, even when I don't miss these items when actually using the camera! Probably I will replace the ultra wide with a native Sony/Zeiss prime when such a lens is launched (less vignetting, better sharpness), and maybe I will add a bright prime. Maybe. But that's it. Dreaming about more lenses doesn't add anything to my photography.

I also do some sunset photography, then older lenses and telescopes comes in handy, working darn well with an adapter. But this isn't the lenses I use daily.

Sure, people could say a lot about different needs and so on, and argue that a lot of native FE lenses is needed, but that is a different discussion.

So, what is the 'bread and butter'-lenses for your A7 series camera?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow