A few State Fair images from the D4s ...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Micheal Hall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
A few State Fair images from the D4s ...
3 months ago

Hey All,

Just thought i would share a few images from the California State Fair taken with the D4s. (I know the current frenzy is the D810 ... but I haven't seen a lot of posts with images from the D4s and thought I'd share a few recent ones).

I haven't been shooting much for myself lately and decided to make an afternoon/evening of it. The original idea was to take my daughter and a couple of her friends and photograph them having a blast riding rides in the golden evening light. But that idea fell through when it turned out that none of them really likes to ride anything that goes more than a few feet off the ground!

With that idea scratched and the kids off checking out art exhibits, I caught a few images of a motocross show and waited for the sun to go down.

I picked up the D4s in April and have mainly used it to shoot indoor sports (volleyball) since then. I've been thrilled with its performance and enjoyed being able to shoot something different from my norm.

I've barely done any processing to these images - a bit of a shadows and highlights pull on some, but pretty much the default processing out of CaptureOne, otherwise.

On the motocross images, I actually shot about 400 frames or so throughout the show - which is quite outrageous for me I don't typically go heavy on the shutter, but I thought I would test out the focus tracking and frame rate. I think I deleted 10 that had any focusing problems. And this was using the top most (right most in landscape orientation) focus point, rather than the center focusing point. So I was very impressed, though admittedly they're traveling laterally, which is easier to track and head on.

I found the AWB to be very, very good requiring only small color adjustments. The nighttime shots were cooled a bit to emphasize the blue of the sky.

I wish I were in a better spot for the fireworks, but I had actually forgotten about them and was almost out to the parking lot when they started. So, I used a kids dragon ride to anchor the foreground and put the fireworks in the upper corner. Would have been a lot cooler if the midway had been beneath them, but oh well!

One last fun note is that I was showing my daughter and she was oohing and ahhing over the details and color. I mentioned that this was a 16MP camera and that Nikon makes a 36MP camera - her immediate response: "You should get it!" Gotta love that gal.

Hope some of you get some enjoyment out of these!

Regards,

Micheal

-- hide signature --

Micheal

Micheal Hall's gear list:Micheal Hall's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
Nikon D4s Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow