ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phathom
Regular MemberPosts: 476Gear list
Like?
Nikon 70-200 f/4 and a switch to FF
5 months ago

Hello Folks,

I'll start with the question, since I hate people who bury it in their post. If I'm switching from a Nikon D7100 to a D810 (or other FF) and I'm coming from a 50-150 f/2.8, will the 70-200 f/4 produce similar results at f/4 in terms of what I am use to at f/2.8 on a DX body?

I hear all the time that FF gives one stop better results in low light and I shoot a lot of horse photography which can include indoor arenas. I am thinking of switching up to the d810 because I've been waiting for a Pro level DX for awhile that might have a better buffer, but I've given up. The FPS isn't great, but unless they are at a full canter, 5fps should be fine for my purposes. I am curious weather I should pony up (pun intended) for the 70-200 f/2.8 because the f/4 version is much cheaper with even better sharpness across the range. So if a FF body gives one stop better low light performance, and f/4 is one stop slower than an f/2.8, shouldn't that mean the performance is equal due to them averaging out? I am talking in general, I realize they aren't actually equal, but comparable? If I am misunderstanding something here, or you think I'm wrong please correct me because I'm curious about this. Thanks a lot!

Phathom's gear list:Phathom's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow