Is this an example of anti-photography sentiment?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozyxy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,056Gear list
Like?
Is this an example of anti-photography sentiment?
3 months ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/arts/design/european-museums-straining-under-weight-of-popularity.html

"Patricia Rucidio, a guide in Florence for Context Travel, said that visiting the Accademia, famous for Michelangelo’s “David,” had become “a nightmare” this year because visitors are now allowed to take photos. “People now swarm the paintings, step on anyone to get to them, push, shove, snap a photo, and move quickly on without looking at the painting,” she wrote in an email message."

Is this an example of anti-photography sentiment? Is it a suggestion that people shouldn't be allowed to take photos in museums? Why would someone say that allowing photography has resulted in a nightmarish experience in the museum? I think it's clear that the problem is pushing and shoving, rather than photography itself. But somehow she connects the pushing with photography.

Is it a suggestion that photography in museums should be not allowed? That would violate what I see as the natural individual inalienable human right of photographers to take pictures in public places... I think the constitution of all countries should make it illegal to refuse someone to take a picture even inside privately-owned publicly-accessible buildings like museums, malls, and shops. I don't see why building owners should have the right to ban photography as a photo doesn't deprive them of their private property! Especially in museums that have paintings and statues in them, these are humanity's heritage, it should be a crime to disallow photography... I think everyone must have the right to take photos of the artworks in museums!

How should we respond as photographers to such anti-photography opinions? How shall we persuade people that photography is a good thing and should be allowed everywhere?

Ozyxy's gear list:Ozyxy's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow