Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
My FZ1000 Evaluation Part 3 of 3
5 months ago

So here's the last two done in very low light in our living room which is all shut up due to the heat outside. I had to bump up the ISO's of course and as you'll see from the EXIF the F stop as well. The first one, the knob on the banister done at ISO400. I noted of course there will be more boken on the Sony due to it's shooting at F2.8, which was not a real option on the Panny, however the Panny still reveals much the same amount of detail. Perhaps a tad more noise but not something I couldn't easily get rid of in the post. Still I think this is a good showing for the Panny. These were all hand held by the way and I've got to tell you, the stabilizer on the Panny is darned good indeed.

Finally some Japanese ginger jars shot in lower light handheld as well. Both cameras doing well but as mentioned before, the 16-50 f2.8 Sony lens provides more bokeh. But otherwise they are a rather even match if I do say so.

So guys, in summary, I've got to tell you I'm mightily impressed with what this single camera powerhouse brings to the table. In truth if I had the financial ability I'd keep BOTH of these fine tools. But I'll have to make up my mind regarding keeping ONE. I haven't even explored the tons of features this FZ1000 has, and it seems to have a one on one with the Sony matching feature for feature. If they all work it's going to be one tough time. I just took 2 shots in my dark bedroom where there is a picture on the wall the Sony failed to shoot or lock focus on the other afternoon. I tried it again and this time it did lock and take the shot, but it looked nasty fully of noise with no detail. I was gobsmacked when I tried it with the Panny, locked focus in about 3/4ths of a second, took the shot and rendered a utterly repleat detailed shot of the picture and even the frame, when viewed at a normal size you could print and be proud of. Not so of the Sony which was crusty with detail destruction and at ISO3200 no less. For some reason the Panny seems to slow things down a pinch to gather more light, but heck, it works. So I'll keep you abreast of any workings on the other features as I go. Here's a bonus pic I took as just a quick snap assuming it would not come out. I cropped out the address and such but the main thing is the shot of the kid is so clean that you can see a logo sharp as can be on his hat. I tried this same type of shot with the venerable Sony A77MkII's focus capability and sure, it got them but they were not that sharp and had CA around the periphery of their shirts. Just look at the wrinkles in the kids pant leg. This is CRAZY sharp at 400mm no less. I just aimed and shot and this happens. It is yet another nail in the Sony's coffin however as I can't understand how it could miss this quality. By the way the kid was a city block from the front of my house, I could barely see he was there. I think Panasonic did one heck of a design job on this lens to be sure.....later folks

-- hide signature --

Sony A77MkII SLT Body, 16-50 f2.8 Sony Lens, 70-300G Sony Lens
Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow