ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 530
Like?
new Nikon d610 owner, concern about highlight recovery
2 months ago

Hello,

I have the Nikon D610 since yesterday. I am a former Canon 5D Mark II shooter. One thing I loved about the 5D is its ability to recover a huge amount of highlight detail (much better than shadow detail). Since sky is one of my major passions in landscape photography, it is in my interest that my new camera recovers highlights equally well. The 14 stops of dynamic range reported in DXOmark, do they mainly pertain to the lower end of exposure? I am having trouble not overexposing skies in multiple modes of metering. The camera seems to clip a bit of brightness and sun reflection in the clouds very easily. Even when I expose for the sky and everything else becomes underexposed as a result, the skies still look a bit unnatural to me.

Is this a trait of the camera (on cnet there is also mentioning of the D610 specifically having issues with highlight clipping)? If this is the case, I will need to return the camera.

Some feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Dirk

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow