12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,837Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm
In reply to Steve, 3 months ago

Steve wrote:

Points well taken. These forums are a fun place to compare and discuss gear, but i wonder how many people value the technical aspects of a camera over the craft itself. It just bugs me when people fill up the forums with nitpicking over 100% crops. I am not alone in this universe with that thought.

"it is incredibly groundless and condescending to assume that participants have not resolved such higher level problems to their own satisfaction elsewhere before spending time here to discuss gear and therefore need this so-called 'advice' which is conventional wisdom at best more likely wisdom-free cliché shoved onto their faces. "

Really ? . There are more of those people who never resolved higher level problems.. than you think.

Probably true, I have no data. I assume people have resolved these questions by default as assuming that others are somehow less rational than myself is dangerous.

How many people bought the best gear without really understanding how to use it.. I've crossed paths with many of those. How many people buy expensive gear because it 'looks cool' and will impress their friends.or just because they can afford it..

But these are people who have resolved the higher level issues to their own satisfaction. These are completely valid personal priorities that provide people with enjoyment.

I'm saying this with a degree of self-interest. Interchangeable-lens systems are an incredibly specialized and potentially fragile market that cannot be sustained by serious photographers alone and has always been supported, on the main, by people who buy the SLR because of other reasons than seriously using it. People who are serious about photography should thank this part of the public that spend much more money to prop the industry up, rather than sneer at the hand that feeds them, so to speak.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow