ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RMJ891
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
iPad / iMac processing and editing
3 months ago

Hi all

Not sure the most appropriate thread for this, as it covers a few things, but just wanted to gain some opinions.

I currently have an ageing Mac computer, on which I run NIK software to retouch and store photos from, throughout the years, my Nikon D700, D3s, D800 etc.

These are obviously large files, and I have thousands of them on my computer. I am happy to streamline what I have accessible to me, and 'archive' some of the older / lesser used photos just on an external harddrive, and just have a few hundred 'favourites' at my fingertips.

I retouch photos using a combination of Aperture and NIK software, but don't do anything too clever - just playing with levels, saturation, contrast, the odd filter etc - but commonly use brushes rather than settings that apply to the whole photo.

So the time has come to replace my computer, and I'm wondering: should I spend £££s on a MacBook Pro or similar, given that 95% of my computer use could be done just on a tablet, or are the largest capacity iPads (and any software?) good enough for the relatively basic retouching (and then storing) I like to do?

To reiterate, I am not a Photoshop whizz - I would like to become better, but am not there yet. Occasionally my photos are of sufficient quality to sell, and I am quite picky about quality, but it's not my job or anything. Does the iPad now, or do you think in future versions, it will have sufficient quality / capability to REPLACE a desktop / laptop?

Thanks for your input.

Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow