ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RavRad
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Metering Manual Flash
Jul 28, 2014

Hello All,

Recently I've decided to dip my toe into the strange foreign land of flash. I've read through Strobist Lighting 101 which cleared up a lot of confusion, and added some confusion. I'm thinking of starting out with something like this: http://mpex.com/compact-off-camera-flash-jump-starter-kit-with-flash.html  I might possibly go a little cheaper and replace the flash with a Yongnuo, or a couple of them.

After reading through Strobist Lighting 101, one thing I'm confused on is how to set the exposure when using flash manually. Is it required to have a meter, like a Sekonic? Lots of trial and error, chimping, etc?

Sorry in advance for asking what I'm sure is a super basic question, but my Google search skills are failing to land me on a resource to explain metering manual flash as easy to understand as Strobist Lighting 101 was explaining flash in general.

Thanks!

RavRad's gear list:RavRad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow