ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RavRad
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Metering Manual Flash
3 months ago

Hello All,

Recently I've decided to dip my toe into the strange foreign land of flash. I've read through Strobist Lighting 101 which cleared up a lot of confusion, and added some confusion. I'm thinking of starting out with something like this: http://mpex.com/compact-off-camera-flash-jump-starter-kit-with-flash.html  I might possibly go a little cheaper and replace the flash with a Yongnuo, or a couple of them.

After reading through Strobist Lighting 101, one thing I'm confused on is how to set the exposure when using flash manually. Is it required to have a meter, like a Sekonic? Lots of trial and error, chimping, etc?

Sorry in advance for asking what I'm sure is a super basic question, but my Google search skills are failing to land me on a resource to explain metering manual flash as easy to understand as Strobist Lighting 101 was explaining flash in general.

Thanks!

RavRad's gear list:RavRad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow