Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Cost / Sales / Availability
In reply to sean lancaster, 4 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

T. L. Rutter wrote:

I wish so much the a6000 has a touchscreen. I have the a6000 and love this camera.

I think a lot of it has to do with what is available and what is promised. There are only so much resources and if Sony truly felt the a6000 just had to have the touch screen then they would've upped the price by $150 to lower demand and have the touch screen available.

I can find a ton of smartphone touch screen replacements for under $10. I know this isn't apples to apples (fwiw, this smartphone screen is larger than the LCD we're talking about), but if a reseller in China can send me a touchscreen for under $5 and they also pay the shipping then I suspect Sony can add one to a camera like the A6000 for less than a dollar from their end. They already have the software and the technology - in their 5N (capacitive) or 5R (resistive), so I don't think it would be too difficult or expensive for a giant company like Sony to add it to a higher end camera. Even if the cost was more than these phone touchscreens, we're still talking less than a few dollars.

Here's a completed listing I just grabbed off of Ebay (free shipping, too):

-- hide signature --

I don't believe it's a cost issue as you have illustrated. It's more Sony thinking it knows best and the NEX5 line is for dumb smartphone upgraders and the EVF cameras for the master race who would never ever have any possible use for touch screens.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CostNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow