XF 18-55mm lens control review, your experience?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
McQuestion
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
XF 18-55mm lens control review, your experience?
2 months ago

I came across this review for the xf 18-55 and was surprised by the negative appraisal of the electronic controls, particularly the spotty responsiveness of the aperture control ring. What has been your experience? Do you have concerns about the reliability and durability of these lens controls?

Also, to help keep the discussion on topic, this is a question about the controls, not the individual writing the review. Please do not clutter the thread with editorial comments about the reviewer.

Thanks.

"The controls, from front to back, are the focus and zoom ring. The aperture encoder ring is the ring closest to the camera.

Swapping apertures or exposure modes is poor. The aperture encoder ring is not an aperture ring; note the lack of markings. The rear ring is simply an encoder to the camera's computer. The camera responds (or not) to the aperture encoder ring depending on the camera's mood, and if it's feeling like accepting your input or not. Therefore what could be an awesome way to adjust apertures by feel turns out to be crummy, mandating you stop and stare at the finder's aperture read-out as you turn the aperture encoder ring.

Worse, you have to stop and move a switch to go from manual aperture control (the diaphragm icon) or automatic control (the A). It's nowhere near as marvelous as Fuji's other lenses with dedicated aperture rings with unique positions for each aperture, or the Auto modes.

Manual focus is crappy. It's only an encoder ring that sends commands to the camera, and then you have to hope the camera does what you want with the focus.

Here's the great news: I never need to use the manual focus ring and rarely the aperture ring, and the zoom ring is wonderful! It's smooth and sure and well spaced, making it a joy to select framing. Holding the camera with one hand, it's easy to zoom this lens with one finger.

Since the lens feels like a real all-metal lens, and all I use is the zoom ring, I really like this lens' ergonomics! The zoom doesn't track focus well; be sure to focus after zooming."

http://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/18-55mm.htm

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Pentax Q10 Sony a6000 Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow