Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless and Weight Savings - Version 2
5 months ago

Ok, so after my first post, there were suggestions and comments that I took into consideration for version 2.0.

First off, a couple disclaimers:

Disclaimer 1: This is not meant to insult any camera maker specifically. This is mostly for fun because I saw a great many people basically saying there's no weight savings in mirrorless.

Disclaimer 2: There's a whole heaping pile of caveats with this thing, simply because lenses and sensors don't match up directly. I tried to match things up as realistically as possible, though. I fully admit to it not being perfect for everyone's tastes.

The document can be found

>>>>>>>>>>>> HERE <<<<<<<<<<<<<

The full document has weights of the bodies and lenses, the lenses used, and a percentage ranking system.

Below are the charts and final "ranking".

CAVEATS/NOTES:

- Sony's E Mount lenses are generally a bit slower, and a bit softer than the Fuji counterparts. On the other side, they are much lighter

- Canon and Nikon basically ignore crop specific primes. Forcing both in this "test" to use very expensive and heavy full frame glass ("L glass").

- The Tele Zooms almost universally are "bad", outside of Fuji's 55-200 and Canon's 70-300 DO, something that is represented by their respective prices. On the other hand, the "bad" tele zooms are also significantly lighter.

- Canon's crop sensors are pretty bad compared to it's competition. Especially the 7D's.

- Sony's A7 performs well, but also doesn't fully participate in every category due to being a new system, with still developing lens lineup.

- Sony's A7 also benefits in the test from it's "slow" 35mm f/2.8, compared to the ~f/1.8-2.0 of it's competitors. The same benefits happen for crop cameras in the wide angle zoom category, and also the tele zooms.

- Big shout out to my friend, Keith, he did the fancy formulas in the ranking sheet(s).

FINDINGS:

Mirrorless does provide a weight savings at the moment... but it might not all be specifically because of the form factor... part of it might simply be each company's willingness to actually produce products that are light in weight, and high in quality. Who knows.
Enjoy

Here we see what happens when Nikon and Canon ignore primes for crop cameras... Why Sony's A7 gets away with a 35mm of "only" f/2.8

Nothing too surprising here... Fuji and Sony benefit from having the "slowest" standard zooms for crop sensors. The cheap tele zoom for Nikon and Canon allow them to close the gap a bit with Fuji's higher quality model.

Originally I devised a point system for total rankings, but my friend convinced me that an average percentage weight difference would be more accurate.  Mirrorless comes out on top for the most part... Sony seems to have hit a sweet spot with fairly high quality, and very low weight. Fuji has gone for slightly higher quality at the sacrifice of weight. Nikon and Canon's entry level DSLRs make a good showing, but the lack of crop specific primes hurts, and on the other end, they need to produce a better crop specific tele zoom, as well.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow