When Olympus adds Full Frame, should it be 4:3 ratio?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Will Frost
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
When Olympus adds Full Frame, should it be 4:3 ratio?
5 months ago

Hi all!

I think it's safe to assume that Olympus, like a lot of other manufacturers, is thinking about releasing a full frame camera. [1]

When they do - and it might be a fixed lens type - should they stick with a 4:3 ratio? Personally, I'd love that, since I'd be able to swap cameras in the field without having to re-think composition.

There is a manufacturing advantage to doing a "small" 4:3 ratio, if they do a 32mm x 24mm, they not only end up with a slightly cheaper sensor (or the ablility to use standard sensors with edge defects), but apparent lens performance will improve a little in the corners - about 3.27mm is lost on the diagonal. This would allow the re-use of existing legacy lens designs, or the design of fractionally smaller lenses. (A"large" 4:3 ratio would end up being 36mm x 27mm, which has no advantages for them outside of bragging rights.)

Thanks for reading,

Will

[1] Micro four thirds is great for them, since the manufacturing cost is lower, but the compact camera biz has been eaten by the iphone, and the 1" sensor compacts & superzooms compete really well with the Pen line. Everyone knows that the best profits left in this shrinking market are all at the high end, which means bigger sensors, even if it is an awkward fit with their current user base.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow