some thoughts on new 12-40 and in turn HLD-6 grip...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vin 13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,384Gear list
Like?
some thoughts on new 12-40 and in turn HLD-6 grip...
3 months ago

.... from first impressions the lens is pretty much what it's cracked up to be, but more of that later.

I wasn't carrying it around (in one hand with a wrist strap) for long before I noticed that the extra 200g (more than my panasonic 14-45) really makes a difference. Up until until I never felt the lack of an SLR-like grip on the E-M5 was an issue.

I did a little research on the HLD-6 grip. It's a real shame that when using the landscape part only that the battery compartment isn't easily accessible, especially as the E-M5 is so battery hungry.  Also using both parts adds another 220g to the camera, which including the 12-40 comes in at over 1kg! That's getting into DSLR territory.

... anyway back to the lens.  It would have been nice if it was a little better at 12mm at the edges.  I guess it's to do with the in-camera distortion correction.  My Canon 24-105 isn't fantastic at 24mm either so I guess it's to be expected.

At 14mm though it's excellent, a clear step up from the 14-45.  At 40mm the difference isn't as noticeable.  The panasonic is excellent for the price, but of course it isn't f2.8!

vin 13's gear list:vin 13's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow