ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mellebaud
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
NIkon 200-400 VR2 issue
2 months ago

Hi all,
I have recently purchased the 200-400 VRII Nikon lens. During the first weeks of my testing I have encountered issues for which I would appreciate to get your opinion.
I mainly shoot wildlife and would describe myself as an advanced amateur, with this lens being my first one of professional quality.
I noticed that when shooting objects further away than 5 or 10 meters the image starts to get soft and noticeably blurred, even compared to my old 70-300 lens. I did test on a tripod, with >1/1000, VR switched off and with still or slow moving subjects – with consistently bad results over 5 or 10 meters.
My camera is Nikon D90.

I am not sure whether the problem is my technique, fine tuning or an issue with my lens copy.

I believe that I am aware of the “normal” limitations of the lens – I know that it tends to get softer when shooting distant subjects (>30 meters). However, I do expect the lens to be capable of producing sharp images of objects 10-15 meters away.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding the issue.
Has someone experienced similar problems?
Do I need to fine tune something?
Is there a way for me to reasonably test the performance of my lens copy?
Could it be a technical defect?

Thanks!

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow