Bears in Alaska : Silver Salmon Creek Lodge mid-July vs Brooks Falls in August?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin Sutton
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Bears in Alaska : Silver Salmon Creek Lodge mid-July vs Brooks Falls in August?
5 months ago

Hi All

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding bear viewing/photography in Alaska.  My wife and I have booked an Un-Cruises adventure cruise for mid-July 2015 and were hoping to visit Brooks Falls to see the bears before the cruise.  However, we struck out and the only booking we could get at Brooks Falls is in the first week of August, following our cruise.  We have booked this in but realise that it is not the best bear viewing time at Brooks.

In the meantime, we have been presented with an opportunity to go to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in early mid-July, with dates that will allow us to do this before the cruise.  This is a more expensive option than Brooks Falls but is probably a better bear viewing opportunity, as this is a "once in a lifetime" trip for us from New Zealand.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who can compare the bear viewing at Brooks in early August with the bear viewing at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in mid-July.  I imagine the latter choice is the best but some real experience would reassure me to go to the trouble of rearranging the booking and forking out the extra $'s.

Cheers KevinĀ 

Kevin Sutton's gear list:Kevin Sutton's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +13 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow