ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NJani
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
V3 compared to old DSLR's
2 months ago

Hi,

I am a nature and wildlife photographer so I have to carry nearly 25 kilograms (hide tent, sit, tripod, lenses, DSLR's) with me every time I go out. I really hate this. I was happy when Nikon announced the V1 and started to work on N1 line and I hoped there will be a good, small and lightweight system as a backup to my heavy DSLR system. I bought one V1 which was a good toy but the IQ didn't impressed be very much. I thought that OK, no problem, it is the first experiment with that small sensor, Nikon will investigate and will put development to produce a better MILC and complete lens lineup. The V2 I didn't buy and was waiting for something really good N1 camera.

When Nikon announced the V3 and published the specification I was full with hope. Now I see the test results and see the user's pictures and I'm very disappointed. Nikon created something which has a very impressive specification on paper and the numbers look really great. 18 mpixels, 20 fps with AF are better than the best DSLR but what about IQ. It is less than zero. The image quality is not about megapixels and fps. On that small sensor 10-12 mpix is more than enough and 10-12 fps also. I think Nikon chose not the right way. Nikon should have put development to create better IQ on higher ISO and more dynamic range on lesser resolution sensor. Overall the technical level of the V3 from the aspect of image quality (ISO+color range+dynamic range) is somewhere on 10-12 year old DSLR.

DXO says "A color depth of 22bits is excellent, differences below 1 bit are barely noticeable."

Also DXO says "A value of 12 EV is excellent with differences below 0.5 EV usually not noticeable."

Unfortunately Nikon V3 is far from theese recommendations of DXO.

And finally let's see the V3 vs the V1 which also has better color depth and dynamic range.

Hey ! Nikon ! Where are you going ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers János

NJani's gear list:NJani's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +3 more
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow