Q Looses the 3-D of the M?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,097Gear list
Like?
Re: what's 3-D?
In reply to forpetessake, 5 months ago

forpetessake wrote:
The interesting thing is that people argue about 3D effect looking at downsized to the screen resolution photos, not at the 100% crops that show Foveon superior pixel resolution. It's been shown many times that as soon as you downsize the picture, there is no difference between a well exposed Foveon and Bayer image. I remember in the past people were ascribing Foveon qualities to a bayer image because they were unaware that it was taken with a bayer sensor. So all that talk about Foveon voodoo is entirely located in some people brains.

Yes, there is often a misunderstanding here. I can create 2D pop for smaller Bayer images, just by applying some USM before downscaling. Higher accutance creates 3D pop.

I think that the Foveon image only has an advantage here if you look at 100% or maybe 50%.

Which, of course, makes the issue somewhat moot as you generally can have more pixels for Bayer cameras.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow