ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frixhax
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Sony A6000 in-camera corrections on RAW in Lightroom
3 months ago

Hi guys!

Since I usually find the best answers in this forum when googling my camera problems, I thought I'd try to get my recent problem solved here.

I recently bought the A6000 together with the SEL35F18 and the latest Sigma 19mm A for E-mount.

I shoot RAW and post-process in Lightroom 5 and usually, with other cameras, in-camera corrections like vignetting and distortion correction are only applied to JPEG, not to RAW. However, with the A6000 (as with the NEX7 and some others it seems http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3520536) this is not the case. These vendor lens corrections are embedded in the RAW file and are also interpreted by lightroom at import. I shot a lot of test images with these lenses, turning in-camera corrections of and on again, and the effect in Lightroom is very obvious. The RAW data is shown differently dependend on the camera setting.

Now, obviously I could just be happy, turn all camera corrections on and don't use lens corrections in Lightroom. However, if I use the profile lens corrections in Lightroom on an uncorrected RAW from the camera, the result looks quite different than the corrected image from the camera without the Lightroom corrections. Since Lightroom as well as the camera are supposed to "know" the lenses, how could the results of in-camera corrections compared to Lightroom lens corrections be significally different?

Now I'm really confused what corrections to use. Usually I would say I had more trust in the camera corrections (which seem to be better than Lightroom corrections in case of the SEL35F18). But in case of the Sigma 19mm the in-camera corrections for vignetting seem to be quite good, the distortion correction of the camera however seems to be almost non-existent. For the distortion of this lens, Lightroom corrections show clearly the better result.

Has anyone any insight in this matter? I'm not sure how to proceed with shooting RAW files with this camera.

Thanks!

Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow