Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
draculr
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report
2 months ago

As many of you are aware (from one of my previous threads) I have recently completely switched from a Canon system comprising of two 5d3's and a few Sigma and L primes to a couple of D800e's and various Sigma and Nikon lenses. I thought i'd give a bit of a progress report!

I must say from the moment I used the D800 for the first time it felt right. I always applauded Canon for the ergonomics but had some issues (using the exposure comp and changing ISO was awkward for me). Happily, the Nikon almost instantly felt that much better - and still does! Mind you, they're both great but I'd give the win to Nikon apart from the grip. Happily again, throwing battery grips on both cameras as fixed any issue I had holding the camera. I am always strapless since I use the spider holster so hand grip is important to me.

Ergonomics out of the way, I immediately felt the need to improve my technique with this camera due to the sheer resolution demands. It took a couple of weeks but I can say that I'm already a better photographer because of it. I'm paying much more attention to critical focus, AF fine tuning, shutter speeds, keeping ISO as low as possible etc. When you see the different between a properly focused and sharp D800e image to one that isn't, it hits you like a tonne of bricks and forces you to improve. It's a demanding camera but I feel it's well worth coming to grips with!

I love the lens selection. Sure there's no 85mm 1.2 but with this new system I'm using the 14-24mm, 85mm 1.8g, Sigma 35 and 50mm. Since I paid so little for the 85mm compared to the LII it allowed me to purchase the 70-200mm VRII which I absolutely love. I never did like the Canon 2.8LII due to the messy bokeh. This seems just about as sharp with almost prime like bokeh quality.

I could almost live with the 14-24 and 70-200 alone.

I've since used it in studio shoots and a wedding and so far I'm just loving it. My only complaint is: why did I not do this sooner?!

draculr's gear list:draculr's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow