Q Looses the 3-D of the M?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Erational
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
Re: what's 3-D?
In reply to Lin Evans, 3 months ago

Lin Evans wrote:

When multiple people at major shows (PhotoKina, PMA, etc.) make nearly identical unsolicited comments about Sigma prints using the words "3D," one has to rethink the "placebo" assumption. I've spent many hours at Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sigma booths just listening to conversations about the prints hanging on the walls. The ONLY booth where I consistently hear the words three dimensional look is Sigma. There surely is a reason. What that reason is I do not know, nor do I really care.

+1 Lin. I really do not care how the subtle 3D effect is created, either, I just know it's there.

The idea Truman puts forth that Sigma has created a 'Placebo' effect is laughable. This 3D-ness is nowhere in Sigma's marketing efforts that I personally have seen. Sigma cameras have been called "One trick ponies"- but with one very fine trick. The M and Q line are the most consumer-unfriendly cameras I know of;  there is no EVF, no on-board flash, no extending LCD, no IR remote, ISO performance is awful, WB isn't that accurate, colors can be sketchy, very little brick-n-mortar support exist, there is very little 3rd party products for Sigma, the files take forever to write, one must dive into the camera's menu often due to the lack of direct-access keys, even the Q battery doesn't last that long, there are only 9 points for (slow) auto-focus, the conversion software takes forever to process files..... one could go on and on. We Sigma camera users know well the limitations of our products vis-a'-vis competing cameras. So, the idea that Sigma camera's are a superior product, thus giving a 'Placebo' effect is a joke.

If Sony or Cannon finally exercise their layered-sensor patents and create files like the Merrill's or Quattro's, I would be more than happy to jump ship.

It is unfortunate that some people believe that if they can not discern something themselves, then no-one else can either. It is intellectual self-deception and haughtiness that pushes people to believe that their own empirical evidence is the apex of reason.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow