Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
High ISO madness
3 months ago

OK, feeling a bit bored this evening, I decided to try out my K-5IIs and Canon 6D at ISO 51,200, a speed I rarely -- OK, never -- use.

Being as it's night out, I photographed a fascinating shelf full of backpacking gear in the dimly lit shop building.

Lenses were the Pentax 16-50 DA*, at 16mm, and the Canon 20-35 L, at 26mm (OK, I thought I'd set it at 24mm but missed.)

Cameras were set to Av and f/4, and both picked 1/200 for the shutter speed. Images were converted to BW in Lightroom 4 using the same home-rolled macro I generally use on landscape shots.

Results were fairly predictable. The big surprise to me was that the Canon image appeared better exposed; you can see in the images below that the shadows are a bit blocked in the Pentax image. Presumably I could lift them some without damage.

I also -- and you can see how bored I must be tonight -- made 20x30 prints of each. Canon came out a bit finer grained, but the Pentax is not at all unpleasant. I actually like the look of both, and I may start using ISO 51,200 on both cameras in real life. The actual prints from both look better, even from a couple feet away, than these web versions.

OK, now on to some actual work....

First, Pentax:

And then Canon:

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow