Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
UtenteMac
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100 or is it?
In reply to Jim Holtz, 5 months ago

Sure, when coming from lesser bodies you don't catch the issue and probably don't suffer the poor engineering choice but…

1) Many of us come from D300 or other Pro bodies: I used to shoot hundreds of pictures before having the battery icon to change. Often around 1000 shots per charge with no image review. I saw drastic battery consumption in an hour of tests with D7100+17-50mm: not acceptable.

2) I didn't own that Canon model, but VR/OS/VC usually stays on for a few seconds after the release of the shutter. It drains a whole lot of battery power and -this- is the proper way to handle the thing.

3) I bought the battery grip to make it more comfortable to shoot with and to nearly double battery life, expecting a little less juice than my old D300. With 17-50mm and OS on it's around half, if not a third. Unacceptable.

4) I don't "chimp". I look for the detail where I need it.
Shoot a picture. Need to shot several other one with different composition. Was f/6.3 sufficient for the DoF? Quickly check the frame by going from corner to corner.
Should I shoot the same 50-sequence with four or five aperture settings and or focus distances because otherwise it is "chimping"? Come on.

In the end any clear defect should be treated as such despite coming from a worse scenario. Don't you agree?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow