Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621Gear list
Like?
Divine Display of Approval
5 months ago

Last Friday, my father passed away. That morning, before driving to the hospital for my last minutes with him, I wandered around the farmstead where he had lived his entire life, from his birth in the farmhouse until 2 days prior to his passing. I took this following photo, exactly 2 hours (to the minute) before feeling his final heartbeat while holding his hand. I believe this scene is a sign of God's approval of how he spent his time on this earth. I know, the shot is not all that amazing on its own, but in the context/situation, it has great meaning for me and family/friends.

View: original size

Dad was a humble, yet amazing, man. He was a craftsman and perfectionist who loved working with his hands and giving to those people around him:

• He was a master of finish carpentry (his true love and passion), producing beautiful family heirlooms and personal gifts for friends and the church.
  • Rock hounding - he spent many hours making beautiful jewelry out of agates found at local gravel pits, and gave that jewelry to family and friends alike.
  • Photography (he shot with a Zeiss while I was growing up). Numerous and precious family photos as well as landscapes were taken on our yearly family vacations to Rocky Mountain Ntl Park.
  • Welding/metalwork...he could, and did, fix any piece of farm machinery that broke.
  • Mechanic work. He overhauled I don't know how many engines.
  • Painting and body work...from painting tractors for paying customers to fixing major fender-benders and painting cars for his six children.
  • Farming - I remember my school bus driver who was also a farmer commenting about how straight Dad's crop rows were.
  • Electrical/wiring. He wired numerous farm buildings and the old farm house when it was converted to electricity in the 1940s (with help from my great uncle).
  • Engineering/manufacturing - with a welder, grinder, old post drill and piles of junk he could make about anything. I credit his creativity with inspiring me to become an engineer for my career.
  • His greatest achievement - passing on many of his skills to his six children.

The bottom line, Dad loved making people happy and was a perfect example of how to live life humbly, but in doing so, making everybody around him better.

Thanks,

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow