forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,546
Like?
Re: what's 3-D?
In reply to Truman Prevatt, 2 months ago

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

I much say that every image I have seen with the SD or DP that was claimed to be "3-D" appeared so because it (maybe accidentally) the photographer used some of the well established methods of creating the illusion of depth.

I partly agree. Many (most) seem to have very little clue what they mean when they are talking about the Foveon 3D look. They just show an image that, as you say, uses one trick or another that makes it look 3D.

But - only partly.

Some few images have a kind of well defined sharpness that helps giving the feel of 3D. OOF parts have just the right fuzziness and all parts in focus are very sharp.

However, that is one of the oldest tricks in the book to produce the illusion of depth.

Completely agree, that's why I was originally discussing the perspective provided by different lenses and subjects. And I must say that's the only reasonable discussion about 3D effect.

For Bayer you have a variable fuzziness. It is sharp here and fuzzy there. Things in focus might be fuzzy and things out of focus may be sharp. This makes it hard to see that 3D look that depends on sharpness.

I've actually seen as many examples of Bayer - 3D as I have with Foveon 3D. A good photographer will bring it out.

The interesting thing is that people argue about 3D effect looking at downsized to the screen resolution photos, not at the 100% crops that show Foveon superior pixel resolution. It's been shown many times that as soon as you downsize the picture, there is no difference between a well exposed Foveon and Bayer image. I remember in the past people were ascribing Foveon qualities to a bayer image because they were unaware that it was taken with a bayer sensor. So all that talk about Foveon voodoo is entirely located in some people brains.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow