Q Looses the 3-D of the M?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,819Gear list
Like?
Re: what's 3-D?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 5 months ago

When multiple people at major shows (PhotoKina, PMA, etc.) make nearly identical unsolicited comments about Sigma prints using the words "3D," one has to rethink the "placebo" assumption. I've spent many hours at Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sigma booths just listening to conversations about the prints hanging on the walls. The ONLY booth where I consistently hear the words three dimensional look is Sigma. There surely is a reason. What that reason is I do not know, nor do I really care. Afterl all, it's what the customer thinks that is important.

Best regards,

Lin

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

"Pop" is normally related to contract and/or local contract and in reality has little to do with the illusion of depth. From what I can tell - the Foveon 3-D has more to do with placebo than anything else.

As I said above, many (most?) do not understand this topic at all. So, I agree - it is probably mostly placebo. You see what you want to see.

I expect a double blind experiment would pretty well establish that.

You have to decide what to test. 3D pop images are, just as you say, an illusion. And it is needed some skills to trigger the illusion. So - the one setting up the test has to be very skilled, not to bias the test.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow