12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm
In reply to SidSnot, 4 months ago

SidSnot wrote:

Sadly from what I see there it's not so good - the 40-150 beats it by quite a margin...

Well, if we are a little more careful, maybe it's not so bad.

One thing we know is that because it's from a crop of the sensor data, if you look at 100%, there's no way the (up sampled) crop can compete with the full-size. There's really no need to look. I learned long ago that in digital media, if you blow any pic up enough, it looks crappy. It looks to me like you're (SidSnot) about at 100%, except that you showed two side-to-side, so more like 50% crop. I'm just slightly (but not much) surprised you can tell the difference so easily.

So, we should calibrate a little bit, like "is it good enough for X." X should include the size of the presentation, probably the display medium, and some rough "viewer" criterion (like "good enough for jazz" or more stringently "can't tell the difference"). (I'll ignore the content of the picture, and distance to viewer.)

The crop shown by SidSnot is blown up about a factor of 4 from the originals. At the original size, I would not care to make a distinction between the two (at the jazz level). So, I'd conclude that at 18 inch width (on my screen) (the blow-up factor of these crops), I could easily tell the difference. But, my screen is only 11 inches wide, so I'm not sure the difference would be that easy to see at full-screen width; I bet it'd be "close enough for jazz," at least for me. That's pretty much precisely Guy's benchmark of "good enough for an 8X10." I bet it would also be good enough for a HD display (1080 vertical lines), no matter what the display size. My most common medium of displaying my work is large-screen HD display (although I also do largish prints, where the story is different). So this is important for me.

We should have known that fact (that it's OK for HD display) from the beginning because at half linear resolution off the sensor, we still have 1700 pixels on the vertical, which is significantly greater than HD resolution.

So, sure, there is a clear difference if you chose to look for it in SOME display mode. But, for 8x10 or HD large-screen presentation, the difference is, minimally speaking, not so clear.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow