Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
First attempt at IR: C&C welcome plus a Question
5 months ago

I received my full spectrum IR converted GX-1 from Spencers Cameras (6 business day turnaround for the round-trip!). Thanks again to everyone from this thread for your help:

IR Conversion Questions

I haven't had much time to play around with it but did manage to go to a local park in New Jersey that overlooks NYC (not seen from this angle). There's a very nice 9/11 Memorial there, where I took the following shot. The first image is the full B&W edited photo.

665 nm lens converted to B&W in Silver Efex Pro 2

C&C is very much encouraged.

Now for the question(s). Being an IR newbie, I'm not really certain what I should see when viewing the files SOOC. Again, this is a full spectrum IR conversion with a 665 nm filter on the lens (Oly 12-40 for this image). I shot in RAW and JPG because I noticed a very odd behavior for the files. I tweaked the JPG slightly (upped the contrast and reduced the saturation), but it was at least fairly close to what I saw in camera when I reviewed the image. Here's the tweaked JPG:

Fairly close to SOOC colors from a 665 nm filter

Are those the colors I should be seeing from a 665 nm filter out of the camera? Again, OOC, the colors were more saturated. Here's where it gets even weirder. I use Lightroom for all of my processing. I imported the RAW and JPG applying NO processing to either file. Here's what the RAW file looked like:

Untouched RAW with 665 nm filter over lens

I won't even guess what's going on here. All I can say is that I wasn't on Mars when I took this shot and I have no clue what Lightroom is doing to the RAW when it imports the file. Clearly something is happening with the WB. FYI, I have the camera set to a custom white balance (with the filter on) and the Develop module in LR shows "As Shot" for the WB.

Any help on why I'm getting the mystery Mars shot from RAW would be appreciated. While I'm pleased with the B&W conversion for my first attempt at IR, I'm hoping I can start from the RAW file when working with IR shots in the future.

Thanks!

Steve

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow