Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
bford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?
In reply to Mark Smith, 5 months ago

Mark Smith wrote:

bford wrote:

Mark Smith wrote:

bford wrote:

With digital I can sometimes take way over 30 hours to finish one shot. Digital has made things both easier and more complex depending on how you want it.

the key words there is how you want it. No one is forcing you to do more digitally than you did in the darkroom.

I find clients do, 25 years ago it was almost unheard of to ask for opening 'blinkers' eyes, enhancing skin and age shifting. Making people slimmer, larger breasted etc etc

that's still up to you though. Retouching photos can also be a distracting and endless pit for a photography business.

Hardly up to me! 25 years ago the amount of clients asking to open eyes or slim the bride down was close to zero.

Now the client is fully aware of Photoshop and what can be done, those things can and are a real time sink for todays proffessional.

it''s your business, you can do whatever you want.

Not a fair comparison since there was no analog equivalent of stitching panoramas.

We did that a few times. You could take several shots and print them cutting and aligning and mount on board. After that you would copy them in the studio on 8x10 film.

I remember doing a huge one from several negatives of Hong Kong Harbour at night with fireworks for the reception backdrop of a large company–so there very much was/is an analogue version of panoramic stitching.

i'm sure that involved far fewer steps than the example provided. those using 8x10 in their darkroom were also a very small minority.

Possibly depending on how many negatives to had to combine, possibly there were few using 8x10 but that's a country mile from "no analogue equivalent" as you suggested

Nope, you could never truly seamlessly stitch with analog as you can digitally.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow