Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quintana
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Sigma SD1 - to focus or not to focus
3 months ago

This is driving me nuts! I "upgraded" from the DPx Merrill cameras to the SD1 Merrill because I love the Foveon look. At least I thought it would be an upgrade, because I wanted more range than 75mm and now I got it with the 50-150/2.8 OS.

BUT: I can not reliably focus this damn thing! The AF (with latest Firmware installed) is pretty unreliable in worse than perfect conditions (bright environment, contrasty target), so I thought I will give a better focusing screen for manual focus a try. Since I shoot mostly static subjects, I don't mind spending some time with manual focus. So I bought a Nikon K3 type split image microprism focusing screen. The installation was pretty easy, but the results got even more unreliable. 3/10 of the results are backfocused, 2/10 are frontfocused and half of the results are in focus (rough estimate). This is a horrible hit rate! I really can not tell the difference in the split image between focusing 50 cm in front or behind a subject that is 10 meters away and with a focal length of 150mm and an aperture of f/2.8 the shot is ruined when you miss the focus by 50 cm...

I don't know what else to do... I like that Foveon look so much and the SD1 is a really nice and solid camera with top handling and ergonomics. But without a reliable possibility to focus that thing or at least LIVE VIEW it is quite useless to me.

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow