Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
This was going to be a D4 vs D810 AF post but
8 months ago

I ended up walking through a muddy marshy area to get in position and didn't go back for the 810.

Basically OOC jpgs, only some cropping and little else.

Main purpose is to show how well D4 maintains focus  Focus stays on incoming bird even with cluttered background and fleeing bird crossing the path of the incoming one.  Final crops will be different.

I boosted my shutter speeds as I was standing in some very unstable mud.  While I'm impressed with the D810, I don't think it would be able to duplicate the first three sequence. I was waiting for the one now fleeing to leave his perch, and the other one came in unexpectedly. Because of the weight of the D4 / 300 2.8 combo I had been switching from watching the egret to resting. I had the camera in the down position and only had time to quickly yank it into position, hit AF on and the shutter button. I'm fairly certain the 810 will not react that fast.

The TC 1.7II slows down the AF and I was expecting more OOF shots but out of about 100 only 4 or 5 did not have good focus.

Obviously some PP required including sharpening.

D4 300 2.8VR TC 1.7II  Focus on incoming bird

And one D810 one.

And an 800e one.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Nikon D4 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow