Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bacon_00
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Bit of a dilemma over lens choice for A6000 purchase
2 months ago

Yesterday, I made the decision to upgrade from my trusty NEX-5N to the A6000. The main driving force was the autofocus -- I've stopped taking my camera to family events because the NEX-5N was, sadly, helpless in the face of my power-toddling niece and nephew. I also wanted a new toy to bring on my honeymoon to the Mayan Riviera in 3 weeks.

So I put my NEX-5N on eBay (along with seldom-used SEL18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens to garner some more interest), and it sold within about an hour for $280. This left me with no camera and the following lenses:

-SEL 16/2.8 "pancake"

-Adapter for 16/2.8 to turn it into a 12mm

-SEL 50/1.8

My plan was, then, to buy the A6000 and the cheap-but-good Sigma 30/2.8 to give me a more "normal" lens. But, after doing some further research, I found out that the Sigma doesn't fully utilize the PDAF features of the A6000, sort of defeating the main purpose of the upgrade (which is to take pictures of fast babies). The SEL16F28 also doesn't use the PDAF, but that's not a big deal since I've never used it in a way that I'd need PDAF.

That leaves me with these options:

1. Buying the SEL16-50/3.5-5.6 power-zoom kit lens with the A6000 and staying in my ~$800 budget (and essentially buying back the thing I just sold - albeit in a smaller for factor - which pains me)
  2. Buying the SEL 35/1.8 for around $350 used, going over my budget by about $200.
  3. Going full retard and buying the Zeiss Touit 32/1.8, which would be ~$400 over my budget. Not really an option, but tempting just because it would be amazing.
  4. Just buying the body and continuing to use my two lenses like I have been for the last 3 years, putting the $160 in the bank for a future lens purchase.

And now I just can't decide. I really want a "normal" lens option, but I also feel a bit queasy at the prospect of shelling out so much beyond what my original plan was. Amazon is offering me free 12-month financing, which makes the sting less, but doesn't eliminate it. Any suggestions?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow