TTL / TTL-BL and Metering Modes: What's your take?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thiago Guedes
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
TTL / TTL-BL and Metering Modes: What's your take?
2 months ago

Hi there,

I am spending the weekend trying to figure out TTL and TTL-BL modes. Even tough I think I've quite grasp all the stuff, there's a lot of confusion primary because this is all a very poorly documented subject.

On the Nikon cls pratical guide, Ross MacDonald states that both on Spot Metering (TTL) and Matrix (TTL-BL), the flash meter wil always be center weighted. But I'd have to say that I am a little more inclined to believe in Desmond Downs and his tests where he basically concludes that on Matrix (TTL-BL) the focus point and the pure white zones also play a part on the light output.

Well, to tell you guys the truth, I don't like too much the Matrix Metering, I seem to get much more consistent and predictable results using spot metering and the Zone System. I can use Flash Compensation when needed to balance the TTL Output and the ambient light myself, but since my D5200 has no FV Lock button, I would have some hard time trying to give an off center subject the proper exposure.

Basically, with no flash, it's a Spot metering to go. Using flash, I may have to trust the Matrix entirely to do both overall exposure and flash or dial everything myself - which I like a lot more and the only caveat would be of center subjects.

Anyway, I have not yet decided my "default" method, but I would very much like hear what you guys usually do.

Regards,

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow