12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-40 with dtc and 40-150 comparison, at 80 mm
In reply to Guy Parsons, 5 months ago

SidSnot wrote:

Thanks for posting this as I have been wondering if this DTC option is any good.

Sadly from what I see there it's not so good - the 40-150 beats it by quite a margin...

40-150 left, 12-40DTC right

Naturally there is a difference. The 2x DTC takes a 4MP crop from the centre of the sensor then interpolates it up to 16MP. So you are comparing a 4MP image with a 16MP image. Good enough for up to say 8x10 inch prints but no bigger.

Regards.... Guy

Yes, this is what one could expect. There is much more details in the 40-150 picture. But I thought it was useful to do this little experiment to see if the superior optical quality of the 12-40 could overweigh the loss you get with the DTC. Obviously not. My own conclusion is that the DTC is good enough as a rescue solution if you don't have a tele lens with you. But I think the result might be as good or even better with raw and cropping and post-processing in LR. I have the raw images as well and maybe I try that later when I've got some tine left again.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow