A6000 - losing touch

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ace and jocelyne
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 - losing touch
In reply to mrmpal, 5 months ago

Thank you for bringing this up--it's gratifying to read that others miss the touchscreen, too.

One of the reasons I switched to mirror less is because I was sick of  AF errors on my 40D and 1D MkII N. I knew there would be compromises, but since the image is being focused on the sensor, at least the subject would be in focus when the camera said it was.

I haven't used an a6000, but I've owned a 5N, 5R, 6, and a Fuji X-E1.  As others have pointed out, it isn't necessarily the touchscreen (or lack thereof) that's the issue, but rather that Sony has a very sub-par method for changing focus point. A touchscreen makes up for this shortcoming, and allows you to take advantage of the excellent face- detection (and metering!) while enabling you to instantly override and choose someone's eye, etc. with touch. Take away the touchscreen, and it falls apart. Any modern DSLR lets you pick focus point by tapping a d-pad. The X-E1 required a down press first, but I was okay with that after some practice.  Sony's method makes muscle memory impossible--I've read that the A7 has a better implementation, but the NEX / axxxx series simply requires too much fiddling to be useful. And you can't even quickly center the AF point!

So I agree with you--Sony's lack of meaningful firmware updates ensures that this won't be fixed on their crop-sensor bodies (at any price point), which is maddening, as I love the sel50f18 and Sony's excellent video capabilities.

The a6000 is my first proper camera for getting into this hobby. I thought I'd miss the touch screen of my phone and cheapo camera but I don't, suprisingly. I've set a shortcut button to focus automatically on the eye and a little green square appears on the subject's eye right before I shoot. All this without taking my eye off the EVF which is easier to use in sunlight that the lcd of my previous noob camera. Although the option would've been nice for others who need it, but I can now say that if I had the choice I'd most likely turn it off.

ace and jocelyne's gear list:ace and jocelyne's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow