LA-EA4 Adapter vs. A3000 camera (same price!)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al F
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
LA-EA4 Adapter vs. A3000 camera (same price!)
5 months ago

I have an NEX-6, which I love in pretty much every way. However, I want to shoot wildlife and am looking at a long (>400mm) telephoto lens to do so. Needless to say, there is no E-mount lens that can do this job, so I am left with buying an A-mount lens and an A-to-E mount adapter (yes, yes, I know that there are all sorts of legacy lenses that will fit, but I am interested in autofocus and image stabilization). The Sony LA-EA4 adapter costs about $350, which I guess is what it needs to cost, given that it is basically an entire A-mount camera without the sensor. At the same time, Sony sells an A3000 SLR with a kit lens for the same price ($350).

Although I love my NEX-6, it may just be that it is not worth trying to compel it to handle a long telephoto lens. Would you get the LA-EA4 adapter or just go for an entirely different camera for about the same price?

(Wishing I hadn't sold my Pentax DSLR and long lens, but then again, that is what financed much of my Sony equipment)

-- hide signature --

A.L.F.

Al F's gear list:Al F's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow