ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
XT1: impressions from someone new to Fuji
5 months ago

Hi,

I had to sell all my Canon gear to finance a new camera. I anyway wanted to have something smaller and lighter than my 5D Mark II. I needed to have a camera that is small but also packs a punch in the IQ department, while being fast enough to keep up with a child. I thought the XT1 could be this camera. If it is not this Fuji, than it will not be Fuji for me.

After trying it for several hours, my impressions are mixed. I have only tried the kitlens so far. One thing that stands out to me is that the camera is very well built, has some ergonomical quirks, but is overall a marvelous piece of camera engineering that I believe could really grow on me. I also noticed that shadow detail is quite good and better than I expected from an APSC camera. Colors and white balance seem very accurate. However, 2 things that have let me down so far is noise at high ISO and shooting speed. I find noise at ISO6400 too intrusive (while on other cameras this is actually ISO4000). The noise is by no means bad and in fact quite good, but since reviewers have always praised Fuji noise performance so much, I expected more. Furthermore, while start up is quick, shot to shot time in single shot mode is as fast as my Sony RX100 point and shoot camera and not fast enough in my opinion, at this price point.

Note that I have viewed and processed my photos in the latest Lightroom and I heard this may not be an ideal platform for Fuji Raw conversion (also a drawback in my opinion).

I have a test a little more, but so far not sure whether to keep this camera. I am thinking about perhaps getting back to dSLR and get a Canon 6D or Nikon D610 instead and pair it with a Tamron 24-70 but then again the weight (and price)....... No such thing as the perfect camera I guess.

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D610 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow