Stick with NEX / Sony - or move to DSLR?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheEyesHaveIt
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Stick with NEX / Sony - or move to DSLR?
2 months ago

Hi all,

I have had an NEX 6 for about 9 months and it's great. I have the 10-18mm and the 35mm along with the kit lens. I generally leave the 35 on for convenience and because Sony didn't have many native options for general zooms (though they just came out with the 18-105). I had originally purchased the NEX because the small size and weight were intriguing. I thought I'd take it everywhere with me without a problem. In reality, I have rarely taken it with me - my RX100 is much more practical and easier to take 75% of the time. I like using the NEX a lot though when I make the effort to take it. However, in those cases, the size and weight aren't the main factor then - just my level of effort (they are still a factor though when I travel). In addition to this, I have become frustrated with the E mount lens landscape and the prices, and the lack of accessories (remote timers - I like HDR, flashes, etc.).

So, I've been thinking - should I switch over to a DSLR with a much more mature and vast lens system (especially in the 2nd hand market). I was looking at the Nikon D5300 as an option along with something like an 18-140 / 200 / 105 (nice to have options finally!). OR stick with NEX / Sony and start to explore lens adapters and open myself up to more lenses that way. Thoughts?

I shoot landscapes, travel, occasional portraits - no video.

Thanks all!!

TheEyesHaveIt's gear list:TheEyesHaveIt's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D5300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow